What pencil should you use?
- Use a dark pencil, HB or softer.
- Letters are darker than object lines.
Spacing of letters and words:
- Small spaces between letters, crowd them together.
- Large spaces between words.
Good lettering depends on uniformity (the letters look the same).
Use single stroke commercial gothic upper case.
You can develop your own style but this takes a lot of practice (100’s of hours).
Letters to watch – these have no lines on the top or bottom.
J, I, U
*Letters can be VERTICAL or SLANT, although vertical is usually easier to start with.
ALWAYS USE GUIDELINES
- Guidelines should always be used to give consistent height to the letters. The letters should touch the top and bottom of the guidelines.
- Guidelines should be 3mm or 1/8” apart for most lettering but can vary depending on the use.
- Guidelines are Very Light using a 4H pencil.