Blender is a 3D modelling application that allows us to model real world object or create a imagined object. Blender is an application used in the movie industry for creating animated computer generated images.
You have 3 weeks to create as many blender models/animations that you can. Choose the best 3 Blender creations for your portfolio. You will also need to write a reflective piece of writing and an instruction guide on how to create one of your 3D models.
Your work must be your own, you cannot modify a blender file that you did not create. You can submit work that you have created from a tutorial where you have learned to create a model or animation.
It is critical that the instructions are easy to read and are understandable by all users. Many user manuals have instructions that are incomplete, incorrect, or simply have no bearing on the actual product. Here are some guidelines to help make instructions easy on the user.
- Provide step-by-step sequences in the correct order.
- Follow the timing and sequencing of the actual operations .
- Provide visual stepping stones (e.g. Step 1, Step 2 etc.)
- Avoid lengthy paragraphs.
- Use everyday words and terms: avoid jargon.
- Explain what a function or feature is for (in basic practical terms) as well as "How to" instructions.
- Check that the instructions match the actual product.
- Explain symbols, icons and codes early.
- Avoid creating dead-ends.
- Avoid patronising the user.
- Do not assume the user has prior experience or product knowledge.
- Usability test the instructions alongside the product using naive users (not designers or product experts).
- Write in the present tense and the active voice.
- Write the steps to task completion while doing the actual task on a real product. Have an independent user then follow the steps (literally) with the product and check that:
- It is easy to work through the task from start to finish.
- It is easy to break out of task and get back in.
- It is easy to jump into the user manual half way through a task.
Reflective Writing Instructions
Your portfolio reflection is your opportunity to express what, how much and your level of learning during the 3D Modelling Unit. Answer the following question to the best of your ability.
- How much did you know about 3D modelling before you started this project?
- How many 3D models did you create during this project?
- Which 3D model challenged you the most? Why?
- What 3 skills did you learn throughout this project? Be specific.
- Where could you apply these skills in different areas? Why?
- How would these skills be effective in those different areas?
- What was the biggest overall challenge? How did you over come it?
- What would you do differently next time?
- How would you assess your progress with the 3D modelling? Justify your opinion.
- How would you assess you skills in creating 3D models? Justify your opinion.
- Do you have any additional comments?
What to Submit:
- 3 Blender files
- 3 Rendered files
- 1 Instruction guide describing how to create one of the models that you have submitted.
- 1 Portfolio Reflection