You have just started working for a large construction company in the drafting department, the boss has just been sold on the idea of changing over from AutoCad to some type of BIM (Building Information Manufacturing) software. The decision is to try out ArchiCad software. Other options were Chief Architect, REVIT and other less used BIM software.
You are new to the company and want to work your way up and make yourself indispensable therefore you decide to become the expert of this new software.
Therefore you're using the Internet you look up tutorials on the software to learn it then draft up a 2 story house.
- Using a search engine (like www.Goggle.ca) search for ArchiCad Tutorials
- Try YouTube and search for ArchiCad Tutorials:
- · Try http://www.youtube.com/EricBobrow
- · Note: If error message appears select Open this content in a new window
To apply your learning and show off your abilities to your boss you will draw the plans for a 2 story house:
- Limitations to your house are:
- The house will be drawn in ¼" = 1' scale
- 2 floors with a somewhat complicated roof.
- It will be somewhere between 2000-3000 square feet.
- It will have somewhere between 2-4 bedrooms (one of which is the master bedroom).
- You are hoping to, but not necessarily, to include:
- An ensuite (a small bathroom - sink and toilet or more) off the master bedroom
- A family room within view of the kitchen
- A separate dining room next to the kitchen
- A laundry area on the main floor (if laundry area is in the basement then the floor plan must include inside stairs to get to the basement).
- You have your Reference and Approximate Room Size Sheet to review sizes.
- **See Home Construction View to see what is used to construct the average home.
- Go to:
- Put in the limitations and then go through the plans and find a house plan that meets the required limitations and is one you like.
- Using CuteFTP as your printer save a print copy of the floor plan(s) and elevation(s) to you’re MY DOCUMENTS drive so you will have a copy should the website change.
- Email via First Class the PDF file of the plan to you teacher to have it approved.
Things to Watch for:
- Dimensions – setup the software to:
- Dimension 48" off the drawing and 18" thereafter.
- Dimension to the center of openings.
- Dimension to the center of interior walls and the outside of exterior walls.
- NOTE: There should not be any FRACTIONS
- NOTE: Be sure to add inside dimensions to pick up walls not dimensioned outside.
- · Walls – setup the software to:
- Have exterior walls at 6" and interior walls at 4".
- Stairs – Use the appropriate symbol library to add the stairs.
- Counters / Plumbing / Appliances:
- Use the appropriate symbol library to add the bottom cupboards (should be no more than 40” wide).
- Use the appropriate symbol library to add toilet, bathtub, shower, sinks, stove, fridge, washer, dryer, etc.
- Note: You may have to readjust the bathtub to fit between the 5’-4” or 6’-4” center to center walls.
- Add all the electrical symbols (outlets, lights, switches and connecting to denote which switch operates which light or outlet).
- Make sure you have added a 3-way switch at the top and bottom of the stairs together with a light for the stairs.
- Add the roof and check for accuracy. Remember you can change many of the default settings.
- NOTE: A simple roof will receive lower marks than a more complicated roof, but do not get too complicated.
- Room Notation:
- With a consistent text size (same for rooms, smaller for closets, etc.) between 6” to 12” and using all capital letters label each room and closet (LIVING ROOM, DINING ROOM, KITCHEN, BATH ROOM, MASTER BEDROOM, BEDROOM, ENTRY, CLOSET, LINEN, ETC.)
- Hand in your drawings with the Mark Sheet for marking of the design.
- Have another student check your plan.
- Hand in for your teacher to mark.
- You should hand in the following:
- Layer 1 – Main Floor Plan
- Layer 2 – Second Floor Plan
- Layer 1 – Front and Back Elevations
- Layer 2 – Right and Left Elevations
- Layer 3 – Sections
- Layer 4 – For an optional Foundation Plan