- Draw in Orthographic - see notes on Orthographic.
- Draw 3 Views – Top, Front and Right Side.
- Use a miter line to construct but remove later.
- Remember to use hidden lines.
- Dimension – see notes below on dimensioning.
Basic Dimensioning Rules:
- Dimension lines are spaced 10mm from the object and 8mm apart from each other. Overall dimensions should be placed outside smaller dimensions and should not cross.
- Do not duplicate dimensions (one change should be all that is necessary).
- Do not over dimension - only what dimensions are needed to build it.
- Usually dimension on the view that will be easiest to understand which is usually:
- First on the front view
- Secondly on the top view
- Lastly, if needed, on the side view.
- Usually dimension:
- Between the views
- To the right side of the view.
- Avoid dimensioning to or from hidden lines.
Parts of Dimensions
- The computer does most of the work for you when dimensioning – you just specify the start and end points and how far from and what side you want the dimension to be located
- To make changes to the settings in the computer program you need to understand the parts (names) of the dimension.